Wausau-area woman previously convicted in child’s skull fracture now charged with child abandonment

By Shereen Siewert

A 29-year-old Wausau-area woman previously convicted of child abuse is facing new charges after she allegedly left her two-year-old daughter home alone while drinking heavily and using drugs.

Police say Amanda Osborne had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.257 and marijuana in her system when she was taken by ambulance to a local hospital July 15. Her toddler child was found at home alone, sleeping in a portable crib.

Osborne now faces felony child abandonment charges filed July 21 in Marathon County Circuit Court.

Police say Osborne was at a Weston tavern the night of July 15 when she approached a bartender and said she was fearful of the man she was with. The bartender asked the man to leave, who did so without argument. Then Osborne became confused and upset wondering where the man went and began to cry, hyperventilate and vomit, according to court documents. The bartender called 911 and Osborne was transported via ambulance to Marshfield Medical Center in Weston, where she told emergency personnel her daughter was “missing.”

Officers located the girl and turned her over to a family member.

Court records show Osborne was previously convicted of child abuse in 2019 in connection with another child’s skull fracture.

As part of a plea deal, Circuit Judge Greg Strasser ordered Osborne to spend one year in jail followed by three years probation, part of a suspended sentence that could result in additional penalties if she is convicted on the new charge.

Osborne has a lengthy criminal history with convictions for escape, theft, battery, and an array of domestic abuse-related charges. She was convicted in December 2018 of criminal damage to property and of disorderly conduct as a domestic abuse repeater, court records show. In that case, she was given a withheld sentence and ordered to spend three years on probation. As a result of the 2019 charges, her 2018 plea deal was nullified; Strasser ordered Osborne to spend one year behind bars and one year on extended supervision in connection with the earlier case.

On Wednesday Circuit Judge Mike Moran ordered Osborne held on a $1,000 cash bond. A preliminary hearing is set for Sept. 9.