Stornoway United walk off pitch in protest after rival ‘headbutted player so hard he fractured his skull’

A SCOTS footie team walked off the pitch in protest at the punishment handed down to a rival player who headbutted one of their own – leaving him with a fractured skull.

Stornoway United say a « serious incident » in a match against Stornoway Athletic on July 30 led to a member of their squad being badly injured.

Stornoway United players and officials walked off in protest over a 'headbutt'


Stornoway United players and officials walked off in protest over a ‘headbutt’

It’s understood the player was headbutted and suffered a fracture, and Athletic banned the culprit for six games internally.

But United’s officials and players felt that was « inadequate » and chose to abandon tonight’s return match, saying they expect they may be punished for doing so.

The team took to the field initially before walking off in protest ahead of the first whistle.

A club statement reads: « Following a serious incident on the field of play on Wednesday 30th June 2021, during our last game against Stornoway Athletic FC (Aths), where one of our senior players was badly injured we (management, players and the club) felt we had no other choice but to walk off the pitch this evening.

Moment rammy erupts between fans and officials at St Roch’s v Kilbirnie Ladeside match as cops race to scene

« We find that the disciplinary action from that club was inadequate as per SFA guidelines and not in keeping with the protection we would expect for our players.

« The health and well being of the players in our club, and every club is our primary concern.

« Abandoning our league game against Stornoway Athletic this evening was the only way to express our dis-satistaction. (sic)

« This action was taken in full understanding that sanctions may follow. »

Stornoway United declined to comment further, and Athletic have been asked for comment.

Last month, we told how cops were called out to a Scots football ground after a huge rammy erupted.

St Roch’s took on Ayrshire side Kilbirnie Ladeside at James McGrory Park in Glasgow this afternoon.

It’s believed the game lasted until half time when fighting erupted between fans and club officials.

That came a week after pro-IRA songs were allegedly chanted after another friendly match involving St Roch’s.

The Glasgow club and Perthshire side Luncarty FC both launched probes after a video of the singing emerged.

Moment two yobs kick and headbutt Glasgow Pizza Machine causing £2k damage

We pay for your stories and videos! Do you have a story or video for The Scottish Sun? Email us at or call 0141 420 5300