Man loses half his skull after suffering devastating brain haemorrhage in Tesco


A man almost lost his life after suffering a terrifying brain haemorrhage in a Tesco store.

The family of Karl Hawkins have thanked staff who helped save him when he was out shopping with a friend on April 24 last year.

Our sister title The Manchester Evening News tell how the healthy 36-year-old had only reached the first isle of the store in Leigh when he fell to the ground.

He had suffered a devastating brain haemorrhage and was later placed into a coma which lasted for eight weeks.

Karl lost half of his skull as a result of the incident.

Jackie Chadwick, Karl’s mother, frantically rushed to the store after hearing what had happened.

She described seeing her son lying helplessly on the ground as “horrifying”.

“When I walked in, I saw him and I told my eldest son I didn’t think he would survive,” she told the Manchester Evening News.

“I didn’t think I was going to see him walk again. It was horrifying.”

Quick-thinking Tesco staff immediately rushed to Karl’s aid by placing a pillow under his head and dialling 999.

a man looking at the camera: Karl Hawkins was out shopping with a friend when his life changed forever

© MEN Media
Karl Hawkins was out shopping with a friend when his life changed forever

He was rushed to Salford Royal Hospital for an operation to stop the bleed on his brain.

The following morning, doctors found two more aneurysms.

Karl, from Leigh, then had most of the left side of his skull removed to help relieve the pressure.

Following the operation, he was placed into a coma for eight weeks.

During this time, because of Covid restrictions, Jackie was unable to visit her son to be by his side.

“When it happened, doctors told us to prepare for the worst over the next couple of days,” Jackie, 61, continued.

“There was no warning whatsoever.

“It was horrible. I don’t think I stopped crying for three days.”

Karl was transferred to Trafford General Hospital and eventually discharged at the end of August 2020.

But while at home, he suffered 10 more seizures from November to February this year.

Thankfully, the seizures have now stopped and Karl, who worked at Wetherspoons before falling ill, can now continue his road to recovery.

His family say his memory has been affected and he is unable to move the left side of his body properly.

He has recently been able to hold a knife and fork again for the first time – something his family have described as a major achievement.

Following his release from hospital, he moved into his mother’s address where she has become his full-time carer.

A friend has since decided to help Karl with funds by running 101 miles in 24 hours.

He will aim to run from Carlisle to Leigh to raise funds in order to “make Karl’s life a little easier”.

For more information visit the Just Giving page.