Groom celebrating his stag do in city centre ‘left for dead’ after attack

A man from Northern Ireland visiting Liverpool on his stag do was left fighting for his life after an unprovoked attack in the city centre.

Martin Cunningham, 27, had travelled over from Keady, Co Armagh when he and several friends were attacked on Bold Street just after 1am on August 14.

The dad of one from Northern Ireland suffered a fractured skull and was « left for dead » while out celebrating his upcoming wedding to fiancée Narieiosa, with whom he has a young son, Jay

READ MORE:Man dies after being hit by a car on East Lancashire Road

He and his friends had planned a night out in the « city he loves » followed by « a bit of footy » but their dream weekend turned to tragedy when Mr Cunningham was subjected to an unprovoked violent attack, reports Wales Online.

According to the friends who were with him on the night, his attackers « left him for dead » while they called for help.

Police officers gave Mr Cunningham first aid until the paramedics arrived before he was taken to Aintree Hospital where he was treated for serious head injuries.

Seven men were arrested by Merseyside Police in connection to the attack.

A man aged 40 from Pontypridd, Wales, was arrested on suspicion of assault and possession with intent to supply Class A drugs.

Forensic and police officers on Bold Street where a man was found unconscious in the early hours of this morning
Forensic and police officers on Bold Street the morning Martin Cunningham was found unconscious with a fractured skull

Six other men from south Wales, aged between 33 and 41, were also arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs, after suspected cocaine was uncovered in a hotel room.

Keep up to date with what’s going on in your area by entering your postcode below

Merseyside Police said all have since been released under investigation and « enquiries are continuing ».

Mr Cunningham was set to return home yesterday, Monday August 23, after spending a week in hospital.

In a social media post on Friday, Mr Cunningham was pictured with his mother leaving hospital ahead of their planned flight home to Northern Ireland.

His friends are raising money to support his recovery and they’ve already raised over £9,000.

If you would like to donate to Michael’s recovery fund click here

Francis Fullerton set up the page so the young family could « rebuild their dream ».

He said: « Although making good progress Marty needs our help with our continuing prayers and Marty and his family also need your help to make provision for the absolute necessities of living. »

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what’s on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here