Football team FINED after walking off pitch in protest due to player suffering fractured skull

A SCOTS footie team that walked off the pitch in protest after one of its players suffered a fractured skull has been fined.

Players from Stornoway United, which plays in the Outer Hebrides, stormed off the pitch after an alleged attack on one of their players during a match against Stornoway Athletic on July 30.

Stornoway United have been fined after its players walked off the pitch following a player suffering a fractured skull


Stornoway United have been fined after its players walked off the pitch following a player suffering a fractured skullCredit: Google Maps

The scale of the fine has not be disclosed but is believed to be around £150.

United claim that a member of their side was left « badly injured » during the local derby.

A United footballer sustained a fractured skull following an alleged “headbutting” incident.

He was taken to hospital and has not played since.

Athletic imposed a six-match ban on the alleged culprit, a punishment United felt as being too lenient.

United’s whole team refused to complete the next game against their rivals at Goathill Park on August 11 and left the field after kicking the ball into touch soon after the start.

A spokesperson for Lewis and Harris Football Association said it was decided to award Stornoway Athletic a 3-0 victory against Stornoway United « following the failure of Stornoway United to complete the fixture scheduled on 11 August ».

“In addition, the Association have decided to issue a fine to Stornoway United. Stornoway United have the right to appeal and have been informed of the decision.”

A report of the match on the Lewis and Harris Football Association Facebook page referred to an “unusual event” with both teams taking to the pitch, “stripped and ready for action.”


The report added: “Following a minutes silence, United were awarded the kick-off from which they played the ball into touch and left the field of play.

“The match was abandoned as United did not return to the pitch.”

In a statement on their Facebook page, United said their action was a protest against what they said was inadequate disciplinary action.

TRNSMT: Music festival slammed for ‘awful’ lack of female headline artists

The statement said: “Following a serious incident on the field of play on Wednesday 30 June 2021, during our last game against Stornoway Athletic FC (Aths), where one of our senior players was badly injured we (management, players and the club) felt we had no other choice but to walk off the pitch.

“We find that the disciplinary action from that club was inadequate as per SFA guidelines and not in keeping with the protection we would expect for our players. The health and well-being of the players in our club, and every club, is our primary concern.

“Abandoning our league game against Stornoway Athletic was the only way to express our dissatisfaction. This action was taken in full understanding that sanctions may follow.”

Stornoway Athletic FC are yet to comment.

Scots golfer gets incredible hole-in-one just three months after taking up game

We pay for your stories and videos! Do you have a story or video for The Scottish Sun? Email us at or call 0141 420 5300